Thursday, April 14, 2011

INJURY

As I stated earlier, we made up our minds to make some BIG changes in 2011. I had already signed up for Health Quest and was about a week in, but had not made any "plans" yet. At the same time, I reconnected with an old friend that I had not talked to in 13 years! She also has a blog and I started reading it. She was now into fitness, health, clean foods...and HALF MARATHONS! I was impressed. I started chatting with her about walking/running and she somehow managed to get me to commit to a HALF MARATHON in Oct. 2011. Ironically, this was ALWAYS a personal goal of mine, but one I did not think I could ever achieve. I cannot run, it HURTS! I still have my doubts, but I also have this voice in my head saying, but what if you CAN do it Mary...how awesome would you feel crossing that finish line??
    I made up my mind. I am going to have a goal...October and in the meantime I am going to train and find 5k's. AS many as possible. One each month. I talked over my plan with Jamie and it was like 2 minutes later and she was on board with me. We are both sceptical about Oct, but we are also ALL FOR IT.
    I started walking and then started working on ratio's. I had to start my ratio's at 30:30. Mind you, I am OUT of shape. I have not been active and exercising. I went from 0 to 100. I walked and walked and did my ratio's for over a week and then one day I got on treadmill at home. I had warmed up pretty good and started my first ratio and then came some screaming pain! My legs were killing me. I had to quit. I didn't know what was wrong. The very next day, I went to the gym and walked and started my ratio's again, Jamie was with me. I was STILL in pain...and trying to push through. After about 30 minutes, I stopped and went and stretched REALLY good. I had not been stretching. Mistake #1. Always, Always, Always stretch before and AFTER you walk/run. The next day, I went again, but this time stretched and WALKED 2.5 miles. I was still in pain and knew I needed to chill and rest my body...let my legs heal or I would NEVER be able to do my 5k, which was only 2 weeks away. I let my body rest from Friday-Wednesday. I stretched and iced my legs all weekend. I was sore just from walking, squatting to pick up my kids toys, anything I did all weekend. My body hurt. I realized I started SO fast and my body was telling me. Mentally, this was so hard for me. I had plans to go walk/run all weekend. I was so angry b/c I did not want to stop. I had made up my mind that this is what I was going to do, but I couldn't.
    Happy to report however, that on that Wednesday when I worked out again...I was BETTER! My legs felt good. I walked and did my ratio's, finishing at over 3 miles and I felt GOOD. I was back and I could now continue on my journey. I wouldn't be letting Jamie down now either. That was another issue I had...she was ready to go and I had to slow down.
     This is the week of the 5k now and I am still feeling good. Jamie and I worked out last night, did our ratio's and had a pretty good work-out. Tonight, we are meeting again to walk..fast walking. Friday we are resting our body to prepare for our 5k on Saturday. I am excited and happy to be better, but have learned some lessons in the meantime. STRETCH and STRETCH some more and PACE yourself. Do not push through an injury. Take time off until you are not in pain anymore b/c it only get's worse. Don't give up. Be Patient. I have to say these things over and over to myself. Lesson learned for me!

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo!! I'm so proud of you guys! Can't wait to see you in October!!! :) I'm going to the store and I can't wait to read all of your posts when I get back! Go Girls!

    ReplyDelete