Saturday, May 14, 2011

Run for the World....or walk!

Our second 5k was one week ago, last Saturday. This 5k was in Downtown Rome and it was for a local church. We had gone a few days before and walked the course, so we would know where to go and what to expect. I was so glad we did that! We didn't rush, just walked and chatted. It was also very nice b/c we had not been able to get together and work out in awhile. We have a usual Wednesday work out routine and the week before (On Wednesday) was when we had the bad storms.
    I personally did not feel as prepared for this 5k as the first one, but I don't think I realized that fully until we were in the race! There were not as many people at this race as the last one. They also had a Fun Mile so there were a lot of families. That was cute and my kids have been wanting to do a race...maybe next time!


   We get started and we are going uphill, everyone takes off running...including us. Almost up the hill and I start having difficulty breathing...and then it gets worse and I am wheezing. I am thinking to myself "how can I be having an asthma attack? I don't have ASTHMA??? It did get better once we topped the hill. I was scared, I have never experienced anything like that and I am planning on talking to My Dr. about it...so I can continue running...walking/running. I also failed to mention I had woken up with a migraine and taken one of my migraine pills...which are strong. I ate a little bite so I thought it would be OK. I will never do that again. Once we reached our mile mark I started getting nauseated. They had water stands set up and I was scared to drink anything...Jamie knows that is NOT like me. I am CONSTANTLY drinking water. I was afraid to have anything on my stomach. This went on for a little while...and Jamie was talking me through it. As usual, she was my cheerleader. I was being a GROUCH. I just honestly wanted it OVER. Oh...and did I also mention we had a COP car trailing us? The runners were ahead of us and we were walking...so we were at the back. That was irritating as well.
   We had a personal photographer! I will have to upload some pics. Jamie's mom came and took pics of us and would show up at different points along the way and that was really cool! The awesome part was seeing her when we got to Clock Hill Tower. Anyone from Rome knows how steep it is at that point and we had just made it up the hill and there she was cheering us on!! Thanks DONNA!!
   From that point on, things got better for me. I was feeling better and I knew the finish line was getting closer. Our PR was just to beat our last time...which was 46 minutes.
   We crossed the finish line at 44:44! Even with all the obstacles we still beat our last time and PR! I was instantly happy. My mind was already racing...we need to work out more, be more dedicated, commit to 3 to 4 days a week and stick to it. That is the most difficult part. Working full time, being a mom and a mom to kids in activities, it is challenging. I will say we can do this, meet here, etc. and things just seem to pop up and get in my way!
   I did see someone that I knew at the race and she WON her age group and beat her PR. It was motivating to see her do that! It makes me strive to keep going on the path I am.
   Above everything, thanks Jamie! Thanks for being by my side! I really don't think I could do this without you. Can't wait for our next one! Time to beat 44:44!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for you! You know I'm proud....you are really sticking with it! October will be here before you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete